Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mechanics Suggestions

+3
Jaymes
Shazere
Talis
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 am

AspenIvan

AspenIvan

Awww...no Neoliberalism?

In any case, I like the tentative version you posted, Talis. Only suggestion is that an interesting, non-construct bonus/malus be added to each to give the ideologies some flavor. But that's not crucial or anything.

27Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:15 pm

Talis

Neoliberalism doesn't really strike me as an ideology as much as a capitalist economic policy. You could have a communist regime that used a mixed or even free market economy, because communism is as much about revering Lennin and Marx as it is economics, but I have a hard time seeing an ideologically devoted neoliberal.

28Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:20 pm

AspenIvan

AspenIvan

Sure, Communism can be seen that way today, but we're talking about a 1930s-esque scene. Communists back then couldn't run a clearly capitalist economy and still maintain their name, at least not in the way that some states can today.

In any case, I guess Neoliberalism isn't exactly what I was trying to get at. Perhaps Social Darwinism would be a better term?

And Talis, any ideas for possibly giving the Political Ideologies a bit more flavor? The construct bonuses are great, but they seem a bit arbitrary in cases like the difference between Democracy and Populism.

29Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:25 am

Shazere

Admin

Came up with a couple traits, take a look, tell me what you think. Suggest more!

Legal Traits:
Imperialism:
An Empire might term it as 'bringing civilization' to a weaker people, but the true reason behind Imperialism is far more insidious. The acquisition of land, wealth, resources, all of which are grinded under the heel of the state. Regardless, this Empire excels at bringing it's conquered people under its control through no doubt a combination of brute force, bribery, and cultural influence.

-Control of recently conquered regions becomes easier in the short term.
-Insurgencies are less effective.
-Lowers Imperial Reputation.
-Chance of spontaneous rebellions.

(Note: I included spontaneous rebellions because almost all Imperialistic Adventures end with some kind of rebellion. Whether its Mau Mau or something along the lines of the Congo Free State and it only takes one spark to set them off.)

Rule of Law:
No one is above the law in this society and is held accountable for their actions. No one can be punished by the state except for a breach of the law, and no one can be convicted of breaching the law except in the manner set forth by the law itself. Or so the basic definition goes, the reality is in much more shades of gray rather than black and white. But in general this society respects the integrity of the law and the judicial process.

-+2 Public Approval
-1 Security

Liberalization:
This Empire has done away with the complex regulations that for so long have constrained the actions of business and instead focused on producing a productive economy, even if some of those regulations were put into effect for good reason. While in good times, this state may prosper it is on a very slippery slope and abuse by officials can become rampant leading to a crisis.

+2 Wealth
Increases chance of sudden economic crisis.

Emergency Law:
Whether this was enacted due to a real threat or not, the fact is that this so called Emergency Law is long overdue to be lifted. That hasn't stopped the authorities from keeping it in place due to the vast advantages it offers the state. An emergency set of laws allows the arrest and detention of suspects with little or no evidence, and hold them in prison for an undetermined length of time without trial. Emergency Law's are highly unpopular but at the same token offer numerous advantages.

+ 1 to Security
Increases effectiveness against Partisans and Intelligence Operatives
-2 Public Approval

Social:
Cult of Personality:
Whether its through brainwashing or a constant stream of propaganda, this leader has built up a massive cult of personality as the leader of the state. This countries populace looks up the leader with almost semi divine status. the main drawback of this policy is that the state has to pour millions each year into maintaining this image.

+2 Public Approval
-Loss of 5 percent total IP.

https://foreveratwar.rpg-board.net

30Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:10 am

AspenIvan

AspenIvan

Rule of Law seems far too close to Civil Liberties, and Emergency is somewhat similar to Secret Police (btw, Secret Police needs a drawback, probably a public approval penalty). Aside from that, however, the traits look good to me.

31Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:28 am

Theo

Need a better map!

I just added a bunch of random stuff. It's simpler, allows for better geographic representation and variety and is much less of a proverbial cluster fuck.

HALF OF THE MAPS GOT CUT OFF BUT WTFEVER.

Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 WorldatWar1

Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 WorldatWar2

32Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 am

Talis

I think we wanted to avoid a pangea situation, but other than that it looks like an awesome map.

Btw, glad to see you Theo. I wish I could stay and chat longer, but my current situation is not conductive to long periods of leisure. We're almost done here (as soon as Shareze writes down the rules), so I look forward to dealing with your empire. Maybe we can have some kind of relationship, although I suspect it'll be antagonistic since you probably backed the Republicanists in the civil war...

Anyway, another issue with the map we need to solve is static resources. Do you think you could pull off some kind of icons we could use to represent agriculture, luxuries, and oil?

33Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 am

Theo

No pangea.

Wheat. Oil. Cute Stuff.

Got it.

I'll get it done. Sir.

LACKING INFO FOR REGION INFO YEEEEAH?!

Can't find it.

Super advanced map with countries represented by their flags? A little too colorful maybe? Based off the Known World map.

Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 456456

Known World Map. I can revert this back to empty.

Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 MapoftheKnownWorld11

Symbols.

Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 WorldMap59

34Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Theo

Since it's not a new world and the world has to be established. I set up a pseudo-world.

WHITE TEXT -- NPC Countries.

BLACK TEXT -- Player Countries.

Open Spots -- For new players.

Also new players could also secede from standing nations. This is just my 2 cents. BOOM!

The new African-esque continent would be rich in resources and have easily swayed unindustrialized nations. The northwestern continent is Asian-esque since Demuon grabbed it up!

Having new players declare independence/secede spices things up right off the back as well as makes it more realistic than a whole nation springing out of the ground!

Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 MAPCONQUEST003

To see the whole image, check out the chatbox. Neutral

35Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Marjorie

There's noting in the chat bos, and what map are we useing?

36Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Theo

Shazare said the one with the new African-esque continent was good. You just can't see the whole map that I posted.

37Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:36 pm

vaklu

vaklu

yes you can just right click, then view image

Last edited by vaklu on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

38Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 pm

Theo

I see! Aspen, is your nation communist or democratic?!

39Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:09 am

AspenIvan

AspenIvan

Either ideology fits the URRS well. Right now I'm actually going with Communism, since Security is bad enough as it is and another Public Approval bonus probably won't be necessary, but I still might switch back to Democracy.

40Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:20 am

Theo

We need a communist power!

41Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Talis

Isn't that Aspen?

And here's a fun legal trait idea:

Centralization:
The government of the Empire has centralized itself in the capital, bringing all its agencies and branches together for maximized efficiency and control. This leads to a wealthy and powerful capital, but also makes it the Achilles' heel of the Empire.
- Capital region gains and additional +2 to Public Approval, Security, and Wealth
- All regions lose -5 Public Approval, Security, and Wealth if capital region is taken.

42Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Talis

Ok, I have to talk about the oil resource as it is right now. The IP-for-oil mechanic is utterly pointless, damaging, and overpowered.

First off, we already have a resource that provides a profit: Luxuries. However, Luxuries provide a boost of about 15 IP to a region, that's less than 2 oil points worth of profit, meaning that owning an oil node is 5 or more times more valuable than a luxury node even without factoring in the ability to produce military units.

Secondly, resources are supposed to be finite elements players can compete over, but the current oil system totally refutes that idea. The IP function is so powerful that players are purposefully not using oil so they can profit from it and make more units, essentially refuting the whole point of requiring oil in the first place.

Ideally oil should be a scarce but desired resource. We want players to carefully manage their supplies, pick which military units are most important, and compete for oil resources. Want people to make profits off oil? How about making oil scarce enough that they can sell it to other factions who want bigger armies? How about making oil refineries more valuable for their military units and less because they pay for themselves in excess oil???

43Mechanics Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Mechanics Suggestions Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Shazere

Admin

I'm going to have to agree..even though i'm going to lose a HUGE chunk of IP by doing so. The oil mechanic was put in place at the beginning of the forum because I was leery about construct costs. I think oil should generate IP by being sold whether its through trade agreements, etc. You could even sell them to NPC countries, that would make you more eager to protect a nation from foreign aggression that's making you money.

https://foreveratwar.rpg-board.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum